Wednesday 20 May 2015

A tribute to David Letterman & my crew


Disclaimer is up, Jeff we’re coming to you in 5…4…3…2…1…
If you’re one of the lucky ones, you might get the opportunity to live out your dreams. The opening line to this blog is the sentence I hear in my ear each and every weekday morning, reminding me that I’m currently one of those lucky few.
Growing up, I didn’t know what I wanted to be. That was until one fateful night in October of ’95, when Drew Barrymore shocked the world by flashing David Letterman. I should point out that I was obsessed with her. It was a media storm then, and I could only imagine what it would be like today. Reading an interview with Drew a few weeks later, what she said about Dave inspired me, and I knew that one day I wanted someone to say the same about me.
I’ve kept this dream to myself; I’ve never had the chutzpah to even breathe the idea to anyone else, because how in the world does one become David Letterman?
When I was given the opportunity to host and produce my very own one-hour talk show, it was as if I had caught lightning in a bottle!
To my crew, my team, my extended daytime family, these words will fall short on delivering how much they mean to me, but to each and every one of you, thank you!
Thank you for helping me pull off all the crazy ideas. Thank you for your unwavering support, especially when I call you all into the control room for a “meeting” because I’ve decided to throw out the current run sheet and have come up with a brand new one 15 minutes before we go live to air. Thank you for rolling with the punches when I sometimes forget that I’ve booked a guest or three and they show up unannounced.
Thank you for coming in on your holidays and days off (even if some of you just do it to take selfies on the couch while I host a cooking segment).
Because of all these things, and so many more I haven’t mentioned, you’ve allowed me the opportunity to live out my dream, and I want you to know that I could not be more proud of the bond we have built. It has been my honour to have been able to share in this experience with you.
I could go on for hours talking about how proud I am of each and every one of you. It doesn’t matter if you plugged in graphics, contributed to on-air time, organized and kept control of my greenroom, or did all the paperwork that I hate ever so much.
Your efforts have not gone unnoticed, and without you I never could’ve pulled off what we did. My success with this show is only through your continued efforts.
We never treated daytime like a community show, and because of that we created moments that I would put head-to-head with any talk show. Just because we weren’t nominated for a Gemini doesn’t mean I don’t think we deserve to be.
Once again, from the bottom of my heart, I thank each and every one of you for making this the best year of my life.

Jeff Moore
Host and Producer, daytime York Region

No comments:

Post a Comment